Sunday, April 8, 2012

GOAL WEEK APRIL 8TH

Run twice this week, one of which must be for one hour.

Wooo! That's a goal I had never imagined myself setting. I exercise everyday because I have dance class Monday through Friday for two hours, but recently with my goal of losing weight and becoming healthier I've had to step up my exercise regime to challenge my body. I am certainly no runner - I HATED RUNNING! HATEDDDD!!! But, fortunately a man named Shay Carl changed my perspective.

I will link ShayCarl's YouTube video in which he runs a marathon for the very first time in his life and crosses the finish line. This is a man who weight almost 300 pounds and could barely play with his kids for twenty minutes without getting out of breath. In 6 months, Shay lost 100 pounds, started eating healthier, and really strived to be the best person HE could be. He is my inspiration and the reason for how I started to get into running. Shay talks about running as a time for contemplation and once one overcomes the idea of running and stops thinking about running while running, running can be a very reflective exercise similar to meditation.

SO! I am extremely proud to say that after running 1-2 times for half an hour a week for the past month and a half, last week FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE I ran for one straight hour. I am someone who has never been in track, never been on cross country, never liked team sports, and runs the mile in 9 minutes (probably less by now). WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! It really is all in your mind. Once you get past the first 15 minutes of thinking about running you just have to let yourself enjoy the exercise and use the time to let your mind wander!

Okay even I get sick of people who are too optimistic. But here's to the first goal!

:) Viv

Here is the video of ShayCarl running the marathon:



No comments:

Post a Comment